My Dog Ate A Bee And Is Throwing Up: What To Do

My Dog Ate A Bee

Help! My dog ate a bee and is throwing up. Dogs can be stubborn and can do the unthinkable sometimes. They usually explore the environment with their mouth. If your dog spends most of its time outside, then you should be bothered about it getting stung by a bee or even going further to eat a bee.

Dogs usually grab flying insects, including houseflies, butterflies, mosquitoes, bees, wasps, and many more. And these can sometimes cause them pain and discomfort.

If your dog ate a bee, then it definitely needs close attention because eating a bee comes with some side effects which include mild pain and discomfort, throwing up and gastrointestinal upset. All these effects might be managed.

Signs That Your Dog Has Been Stung By A Bee

My dog ate a bee and is throwing up

Sometimes when a dog tries to eat a bee, it might get stung by it, and this can cause some allergic reactions and pains.

You will notice some symptoms if your dog is stung by a bee. These symptoms mostly occur on the paws or around the face. You may notice the following signs;

  • Agitation
  • Swelling around the eyes, muzzle, and neck
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Itchy skin
  • Limping
  • Biting and licking the area where the sting was
  • Hives.

What To Do When Dogs Eats A Bee And Is Vomiting

If your dog ate a bee and is showing symptoms like vomiting, don’t panic. Be rest assured that you are not the first to experience such and you certainly won’t be the last. Pay close attention to your dog and observe for at least an hour.

As your four-legged friend chase after flying bees, they get stung several times on their head and face, in addition to the inside of their mouth and tongue before finally swallowing and ending up in their stomach. Here are a few things you can do;

1. Observe Dog

If your dog shows any of the symptoms it might have allergies from the sting, or maybe they were stung multiple times. Examine inside the mouth, ears, and muzzle in case of multiple stings. Immediately contact your veterinarian if you notice any symptoms.

When your dog eats a bee, observe them; they usually will digest it like everything they eat, and it won’t affect them. But sometimes, dogs get stung while trying to eat a bee, and they might be allergic to bee venom. Your dog will therefore need veterinary attention as soon as possible.

2. Keep Dog Hydrated

Vomiting can cause dehydration, and if your dog has been throwing up, it is best to offer them a lot of water to keep them hydrated. Alternatively, you can give them ice cubes to lick on.

3. Consult The Veterinarian

If your dog is throwing up after being stung by a bee, it may develop gastrointestinal upset and an allergic reaction due to the bee venom. Try to be calm and contact your veterinarian if the vomiting doesn’t stop or if they vomit five times in two hours.


Our dogs’ safety and well-being are paramount, and if your dog eats a bee and begins to throw up, it is essential to act quickly to prevent further complications.

Monitoring your dog’s behavior, keeping them hydrated, and consulting with your vet are important steps to take to keep your dog safe and comfortable.

Home Safety Checklist for Cat and Dog Owners

Unlock the Ultimate Home Safety Guide for Your Pets!

From the living room to the great outdoors, learn the ins and outs of pet-proofing every corner of your home. Get the free Ebook.

Leave a Reply
Related Posts